Thursday, July 28, 2022

Bill Gates: "I’m a Pickler!"


JUST DINK IT
Fifty years ago, I started playing this little-known sport with a funny name. Now, it’s all the rage.
One of my favorite pastimes is now America's fastest-growing sport. 

I’ve been a “Pickler,” as people obsessed with the game like me are known, for more than 50 years. (Short Video)

And if you and your family are bored and looking for something to do this summer, I encourage you to become one too.

Boredom was what got this sport started in 1965.

Three dads living on Bainbridge Island, near Seattle, came home one summer evening to find their children complaining that there was nothing for them to do. So, they found a net, a Wiffle ball, some ping-pong paddles, and created a game on an old badminton court that the entire family could play together.

It was a hit.

Over the next year, the three friends worked together to develop a set of rules, formalize the court layout, and introduce a larger plywood paddle that was good for striking the ball. And they decided to call it pickleball. (The name’s origins remain a matter of debate. Some believe it was named after a dog. Others say it’s a reference to a “pickle boat,” a thrown together boat made from the leftover rowers in crew races. I don’t know. I prefer to just play the game and stay out of the fray.)

Meanwhile, word slowly spread in Seattle of this odd new pastime.

My dad was friends with the game’s inventors, Joel Pritchard, a state legislator and later Washington’s lieutenant governor, Barney McCallum, and Bill Bell. He learned about their creation and by the late 1960s, he got inspired to build a pickleball court at our house. I’ve been playing ever since. (Read More)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be blunt about pickleball with Travis Rettenmaier

  0:00 Still a skeptic of the pro game 8:50 Showing the love for St. Pete 13:12 A new facility on the way, showers optional 15:47 Pickle...