Thursday, June 15, 2023

Bet on Her Season 1 Episode 19 "Tales from the play by play booth with Camryn Irwin

  1. 0:26 Intro - Camryn Irwin PPA/MLP Commentator
  2. 1:46 International
  3. 2:25 What was the inspiration behind getting into this profession? The journey
  4. 4:34 Spinal injury
  5. 6:30 Things happen for a reason
  6. 7:35 What was your first gig as a broadcaster?
  7. 9:10 You don't get somebody to hand you all that data and that information? Oh, no! No, No, No
  8. 10:36 2019 Repost
  9. 10:54 Doug Strauss (BBB Info) Stats - I live and die by that stuff.
  10. 12:11 Intense process. You just gotta keep your nose down and keep grinding
  11. 13:24 AVP Broadcasting - Your First Years
  12. 17:07 Pressure - I had fun
  13. 17:55 Unbiased. Fair Coverage
  14. 21:39 The Art Of Broadcasting
  15. 24:04 Criticism
  16. 26:55 The face of the LA Rams - The journey and obstacles
  17. 29:13 On/Off Script - I love to dance
  18. 31:50 You probably have secrets about everybody
  19. 32:18 Paving the way for a lot of women in football
  20. 34:58 I was quite the talker as a child
  21. 35:22 What are some of the trends or changes that have happened in sports broadcasting? Technology and Sport
  22. 38:04 Showcasing Athletes Authenticity. Influencers. Targeted Marketing Works
  23. 40:03 I am an arm to the athletes
  24. 42:49 Something cool about my job
  25. 44:11 Pickleball
  26. 46:24 Are you a visual learner?
  27. 47:39 What is the future of Pickleball?
  28. 49:07 MLP San Clemente - I step on the court with 10 year olds and they crush me and it is demoralizing. SMU Frat Party Bus
  29. 50:05 Do you trash talk?
  30. 51:32 It has been fun with Pickleball because they are still learning about their own sport
  31. 52:00 Aggressive steps towards the kitchen - a distraction or a hindrance
  32. 53:31 Learning to play with wind - I love the variables
  33. 56:08 How have you taken a bet on yourself?
  34. 57:20 Thank you

The interview is with broadcast journalist Cameron Irwin, who is known for her captivating storytelling and dedication to bringing important stories to light. She is interviewed on the "Bet on Her" podcast, where they celebrate the achievements and inspiring journeys of women making their mark in the world.

Cameron discusses her background as a former professional athlete, having played volleyball at a high level in the Pac-12 (Pac-10 at the time) and overseas in Sweden and Austria. She talks about her lifelong passion for sports and how it molded her character. Along the way, she realized she wanted to tell athlete stories and inspire others through storytelling.

She shares her transition from being a professional athlete to becoming a sports broadcaster. Cameron started by writing and working for the local newspaper and the athletic department during her college years. She gained experience and eventually began calling games for her own teammates and for the Pac-12. Despite not having someone to provide her with all the stats and data, she invested a lot of time and effort in researching and getting to know the athletes she covered. Cameron's dedication to her craft and love for the sport shines through her work as a broadcaster.

The interview touches on Cameron's spinal injury, which forced her to leave professional volleyball at the peak of her athleticism. While it was difficult for her, she believes everything happens for a reason. It led her to focus on her passion for storytelling and broadcasting. Cameron mentions that she still feels connected to the game she loves and hopes to uplift the sport through her work.

Cameron: "I also knew that there were so many talented broadcasters out there, so I had to find a way to stand out and make my mark. One of the ways I did that was by immersing myself in the game and the athletes. I wanted to understand their stories, their struggles, and their triumphs. By doing my own research and watching matches, I could provide unique insights and analysis that went beyond the surface level.

It was a lot of work, but it was also incredibly rewarding. I love being able to share the stories of athletes and bring their journeys to life through my commentary. It's a privilege to be in a position where I can inspire others and make a positive impact through my work.

Over the years, I've had the opportunity to cover various leagues and tournaments, from college volleyball to professional events like the AVP and even pickleball. Each experience has taught me something new and allowed me to grow as a broadcaster.

Now, as I cover multiple leagues simultaneously, I've recently enlisted the help of some individuals to assist with research and statistics. This has allowed me to focus more on the storytelling aspect and deliver even more engaging and insightful commentary. It's all about finding the right balance and leveraging the resources available to me.

I'm grateful for the support I've received along the way and the opportunities that have come my way. Breaking into the field of sports broadcasting was not easy, and there were challenges and setbacks, but my passion and determination kept me going. I'm excited to continue my journey, uplift the sport I love, and inspire others through my work as a broadcast journalist."


And that's the summary of the interview with broadcast journalist Cameron Irwin
. It highlights her dedication, resilience, and passion for telling athlete stories and inspiring others through her work. She shared her journey from being a professional volleyball player to transitioning into sports broadcasting, the challenges she faced, and her dedication to telling athlete stories. She emphasized the importance of research, preparation, and building connections with athletes to provide insightful commentary.

Despite the setbacks, Cameron's resilience and love for sports has propelled her career, and she continues to make her mark in the world of journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBisLife: Alix Truong Interview

  Alix Truong: Rising Star in Pickleball Shares Her Journey at Just 16 Years Old From tennis to pickleball, balancing school with tournament...