Sunday, September 10, 2023

2023 Cincinnati Open: Thomas Wilson & Vivienne David - Mixed Finalists

 

Interviewer: Okay, so Thomas, we will start with you. Your finesse Inside Out drop shot at the net was not defended at all this match. (8:55:18 Vivienne David/Thomas Wilson vs Riley Newman/Jessie Irvine) How do you know when to use that shot?

Thomas Wilson: I think I just make sure to rip a few overheads so they're backing up, and so I think I'm gonna hit a cannon again or at least try to, and then it's just a lot more room to hit a little drop shot. It looks cool, but I gotta use it at the right time, especially against someone like Riley. He's going to get everything, so he has to be at the fence basically before I do that little thing.

Interviewer: And Vivienne, you both have not made a final on the PPA tour. What made this tournament different for you guys?

Vivienne David: Honestly, I've talked about this before. Coming into a tournament, not saying like we didn't have high expectations, we know we're there, it's just a few things that we need to work out. But I think him just being a brand new dad, he just got a baby, sweet little baby Holyn, and I think it was just kind of like we have nothing to lose. Such a joyous moment for Thomas and Brittany to have a baby, and it's just kind of like, honestly, we have nothing to lose. We're just going to swing away, play our game, and we're happy to make Sunday. Heck yeah.

Interviewer: Thomas, touching on your new baby, how is fatherhood treating you so far?

Thomas Wilson: It's great when your wife's a nurse because she knows what she's doing. She's great with newborns. So we both are sleep-deprived, though. So she's been staying up the majority of the time. I still help because we're bottle-feeding her, so I have no excuse to not feed her, change diapers, do all the things. So I'm learning slowly but thankful for Brittany and my whole family flew up too, so it's been pretty easy for now because we have everybody. But once we go home, that might be different.

Interviewer: And how did you guys decide on the name Holland?

Thomas Wilson: It's actually Holyn, so H-o-l-y-n, holy with an N. My wife kind of thought of the name, so we just kind of rolled with it. But I hadn't heard it before. I don't know if she did, so yeah, it's very unique.

Vivienne David: It's pretty. That's a sweet little name.

Interviewer: Thomas, your forehand is so strong, and you hit the ball so hard. How did you use that strength to win tonight?

Thomas Wilson: Pretty much all I have, so if I'm not ripping forehands, then I'm in trouble. So I better be killing that thing; otherwise, we might be sitting here.

Interviewer: And Vivienne, you both were playing so clean with minimal mistakes. Do you credit that to playing together for so long?

Vivienne David: I do. I think I mentioned in our interview, it goes more than just a partnership and gelling well. I think off the court, we're really good friends. Him and his wife are like basically family to me. So I think we really want to win for each other too. It's not necessarily just I win one for myself, but it's like I want to do the best I can for my brother right beside me. That's definitely, I think, a big component for me personally.

Interviewer: What is your plan for going against Ben and Anna Lee on Sunday?

Thomas Wilson: That's a good question. We'll probably talk about that. I don't think we have a specific plan, but what we do every time is play our game. Regardless of any of the teams we played today, we didn't really do anything different, maybe minor things. But if we're playing confidently, speeding up, hitting hard, moving around, feet are big for me, so if we're doing all those things, we have a chance. So we'll see, but we'll try to strategize and come up with some magical stuff, and we'll tell everybody if we figure it out, or maybe we won't.

Interviewer: And last question for you both, the crowd seemed to be on your side tonight. What was it like having the crowd hype you up like that?

Thomas Wilson: I think the crowd's normally on our side because they love Sister Viv. She's always smiling. We'll get it done playing, and we'll walk up the court, and people are like, "Babe, can you sign my stuff?" And I'm sitting here looking at my phone [Laughter].


Vivienne David: It helps a lot. But after a good rally, a tough point when you hear the crowd back you up, it's just awesome. And then, like, they hear, "Come on, Vivian, come on, Tom." It's like actual names too. It's like, "Wow, these people really care." It's very heartwarming. Very heartwarming. Awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 PPA Atlanta Slam Victory: Bright and Rohrabacher Dethrone the Queens

  The No. 2 Seed Duo Upsets Waters and Parenteau with Tactical Brilliance The 2024 PPA Atlanta Slam will be remembered for a seismic shift i...