Monday, September 11, 2023

2023 Cincinnati Open Anna Leigh Waters - Gold Medalist Interview

 

0:01 Your mom said this was the best singles she's ever seen you play - Why does she think that was? I feel like I gradually got there. In the beginning of the first game I came out a little slow and my serve was weird. I was trying to figure out what serve and where to stand, which you don't want to do during a match. But I got more comfortable as the match went on. Towards the end I was playing some of my best singles because I was hitting big serves, taking the ball early, coming in and hitting the shots I wanted, not forcing too much. I felt super comfortable and confident in that second game. 0:34 Why were you trying to change up your serve? The first two serves I hit were really bad - one was far from the kitchen and the other was just bad. So we were trying to figure out how to get it deeper. It's something I'm going to work on after this tournament because it needs to get better. It makes a big difference in singles and mine isn't great. 0:55 In your post-match interview, you thanked the crowd for pulling you out of a hole a few times - Can you talk about how important the crowd is in moments like that? It really does make a difference. I like it when they're cheering for me. It helps when they're cheering for you - I feel like this weekend there were a lot of people being very loud when I was down, trying to pump me up and remind me who I am. I'm very thankful for that. There were many times this weekend when I think Ben and I were coming down from deficits, so not our best weekend until the finals. 1:33 You just saw Ben hit his 100th title - How does that make you feel looking at what you are trending to do in the future?` It's incredible. I know he said there aren't records in this sport but I think that one probably won't be broken. He's going to get many more golds - he says he wants to get to 200 which is kind of crazy. He'll be playing this sport for a long time and so will I. We're going to keep trying to set records that won't be broken. 2:00 You thank the refs every single time without a doubt - Why do you think that's important to do? I feel like the refs get a lot of hate for everything. They travel with us, work just as hard as we do, stand out in the sun, and are going to make mistakes. I think a lot of players from all levels can get frustrated with refs but you forget they're human too. I just like to thank them after every match because I really appreciate what they're doing - traveling with us and grinding through the heat. Without the refs we wouldn't be able to have a pro tour. 2:39 What is a goal outside of pickleball that you are working on? I want to be on the Jimmy Fallon Show and I've been trying for a while. Maybe soon, maybe never, but I really want it. That's the one thing I really want to do. 2:57 If you get on the Jimmy Fallon Show, what will you wear? Oh, my God! It's like if you saw Oprah, you'd have to decide like a week before, like I don't know. My trainer always brings it up - he's like if you were going to see Oprah what would you wear, how long would you need to get ready? I think it's the same level for the Jimmy Fallon Show. I need to know in advance so that I could plan the outfit, plan what I was gonna wear, plan a couple lines just in case I get nervous. I just feel like there would be a lot of things I would have to do before going on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 PPA Atlanta Slam Victory: Bright and Rohrabacher Dethrone the Queens

  The No. 2 Seed Duo Upsets Waters and Parenteau with Tactical Brilliance The 2024 PPA Atlanta Slam will be remembered for a seismic shift i...